[postfix-users] Question about smtp_client_connection_count_limit

Georg Käfer gkaefer at backbone.co.at
Mi Dez 2 11:18:34 CET 2009

Sympthom:
my postfix/dovecot server stops connection requests on port 25 if the mail reject limit exceeds around 400 per minute.
Port 25 is available but  no 220 promt is coming. So I assume not enough smtp or amavis deamons on port 10024 10025 are available.
A short postfix reload "solves" the problem, spammer are gone and connections are free agai for real users.

I did review my master.conf an see:

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       20      smtpd
  -o smtpd_proxy_filter=localhost:10024
  -o content_filter=

But no smtp_client_connection_count_limit is set (a la):

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       20      smtpd
  -o smtpd_proxy_filter=localhost:10024
  -o content_filter=
  -o smtp_client_connection_count_limit=10

Question:
I've domains where the postfix accepts the smtp directly and I've domains which have a mailfirewall in front and refuses smtp from all other servers (mailfirewall = mx).
This mailfirewall does also spam and virus checks and sends the "good" mails than to my postfix server.
I assume that the "smtp_client_connection_count_limit" from above affects my mailfirewall too.
How can I exclude my mailfirewall from this client_connection_count_limit (or how can I set a seperate limit for my mailfirewall) - or makes this no sense and the limit set is best solution?

For this mailfirewall I've condfigured in main.cf:
check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_access

:/etc/postfix/recipient_access:
mydomain.tld                   check_if_mailfirewall_is_sender

main.cf:
check_if_mailfirewall_is_sender =
 check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/mailfirewall-ip,
 check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/nice_mailfirewall_reject.pcre,
 reject

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg