[Postfix RPMs] Packaging changes: chroot will NOT be built-in on future RPMs

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Wed Jul 23 23:56:01 CEST 2003

Hello All,

Following several messages on the postfix-users mailing list regarding
problems caused by Postfix running in a chroot environment[1], and a short
exchange of messages with Wietse, I have decided to modify how I
distribute the Postfix RPMs which I produce.

Specifically I will start to distribute them with the chroot functionality
turned OFF (default Postfix configuration).

To support existing users who wish to maintain the chroot functionality
(it adds an extra level of security) and allow those of you who wish to
have this functionality turned on, I will distribute a script which will
enable you to enable/disable the functionality by hand.

This script will take one of 2 values: enable or disable, and it will
attempt to determine which additional libraries (db3, db4, LDAP, Postgres)
need to be copied into the chroot or removed from it.  I have made a copy
available at ftp://ftp.wl0.org/testing/postfix-chroot.sh and would
appreciate any feedback on its contents.

Due to the way RPM works, EXISTING users who upgrade Postfix will not see
their chroot setting changed.

I apologise for any inconvenience that these changes may cause, but prefer
to release my packages in a way which Wietse finds acceptable.

I will shortly announce a testing version of my chroot-free RPM.

Simon

[1] The problems were user configuration problems and were not specific to
my packages.

| BODY of a message to majordomo at WL0.org                                  |