[postfix-users] Difference mydestination and virtual_alias_domains etc.

Ralf Hildebrandt r at sys4.de
So Nov 11 22:51:43 CET 2012

> according to the book of Postfix and from my understanding the
> purpose of virtual_alias_domains is exactly the same
> like mydestination which is to be the final destination for the
> domain names specified.

Domains in mydestination get delivered by "local".

?

> But what does that mean in practice?
> Wouldn`t it be the same if i decide to set all domain names postifx
> is the final destination for, in mydestination instead of
> virtual_alias_domains?

Domains listed in virtual_alias_domains usually use
virtual_alias_maps to map the address to ANOTHER address, which is
then delivered someplace else (maybe using "local", maybe it goes to
yet another machine)

> I dont exactly understand the difference and whats even more
> confusing for me is the difference between virtual_alias_domains &
> virtual_mailbox_domains.

virtual_alias_domains: just rewrite the recipient address
virtual_mailbox_domains: deliver the mails using "virtual"

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München