[Postfix RPMs] Fixing Postfix-2.0.13-2 problem

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Sun Jul 13 00:56:57 CEST 2003

Hello All,

If you have postfix-2.0.13-2 installed (see rpm -q postfix output) you
have a problem!  If you are not running postfix-2.0.13-2 please ignore
this message.

You will probably see from the rpm -q postfix output that you have 2
versions of postfix installed.  Getting back into a sensible state is not
as simple as just rpm --erase'ing the unwanted package.

Solution:

1. You need a _different_ _valid_ version of my rpms (any except
2.0.13-2) to the version(s) installed.

- If you haven't tried my new 2.0.13-3 rpms yet you can use these.
	ftp://ftp.WL0.org/testing/
- If you have tried them and NOT followed these steps you'll need to
  find another version of the package.

2. Install the _different_ package with

rpm -Uvh --notriggers package.rpm

If the package is older than the current packages you'll need to add the
--oldpackage parameter before the package name.

e.g.

rpm -Uvh --notriggers postfix-2.0.13-3.rh9.i386.rpm
		OR
rpm -Uvh --notriggers --oldpackage postfix-2.0.12-3.rh9.i386.rpm

3. If you have installed postfix-2.0.13-3 then you have finished.

If you have installed an older package you can upgrade it as normal with
rpm -Uvh postfix-2.0.13-3.<distribution>.i386.rpm

4. If you use apt-get then PLEASE follow these instructions by hand as
apt-get will probably get really confused.

5. If you use RedHat 8 just pray that RPM won't lock up on you (it did on
me requiring me to clean out the /var/lib/rpm/__db.00[123] files and then
do a rpm --rebuilddb).  Yukk.

These instructions have been tested and work on RedHat 7.3 and 9.0.  They
should work on other versions of RedHat.

Sorry for the longwinded message and hope that few of you got to install
this troublesome package.

Regards and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Simon

p.s.  I'll announce the normal 2.0.13-3 package as normal after sending
this message.

| BODY of a message to majordomo at WL0.org                                  |