Followup: postfix rh6x RPMs may have a problem with chkconfig

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Fri Mar 23 17:27:21 CET 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Simon J Mudd wrote:

> This message is only relevent if you are using RH6.
>
> I recently received an email from someone using the following RPM I
> produce: postfix-20010228release-2rh6.i386.rpm
>
> During the install of the package they receive the following error:
>
> rpm -Uvh postfix-20010228release-2rh6.i386.rpm
> postfix                     ##################################################
> service postfix does not support chkconfig

Thanks to those of you who provided me with feedback.  The problem indeed
appears to be chkconfig and the "internationalisation" support I had
included (a minor description in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix) which confuses
the old version of chkconfig.  Some people with rh6 have reported success,
but I imagine they may be using a new enough version to avoid the problem.

Bearing in mind the change is not really important, I'll remove the
offending lines and produce a new package which I hope to upload later
this evening.

This will affect both snapshot and release versions.

Regards,

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd, Madrid SPAIN    Tel: +34-91-408 4878    email: sjmudd at pobox.com